Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Samtiago 878B

  1. #1
    Inactive Member psycho2650's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9th, 2008
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the quick reply. That gives me a place to start.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member psycho2650's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9th, 2008
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Old, I checked out the Chicago Craigslist and found a pair of Altec Barcelona 873As for $1200, but no Santiagos. I have only found this post from Europe:

    http://www.vintage-audio.com.ua/inde...g_id=0&begin=1

    Here they are listed at 3500 eur (over $5K !! yeks).

    $750 to $5K is a pretty big spread.
    p

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    1200 is probably not out of line for Barcelona pair, they use the larger 511 horn and 802 driver(better sounding combination IMO) in the fanciest furniture style cabinet Altec built. Santiago uses the 811 horn and 806 type driver.

    When it comes to overseas prices, consider the current cost of shipping big Altecs from the USA generally exceeds the purchase price, sometimes nearly double.

    I'm aware of a pair of full size Altecs recently sold to Hong Kong or nearby. Purchase price was under 1000, total with crating and shipping was over 3000 USD.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Samtiago 878B


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    My bad-

    I still stand on my estimates though.

    That $5000 is just plain silly...find me a buyer- I will ship him a clean pair, gone over by an Altec guy who has about 40 years working with the stuff... and pay you a $500 commission.

    Not a serious offer, but my point is I'd be making REALLY good money.

    Even at $3000 to ship them over there...

  5. #5
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Happy BD OG!

    I think if they are in nice condition $500-$1000 would be in the right ball park.

    They are a tad bigger then the Valencia but have the 411 LF driver.

    I thought they had a very nice sound and style so I would rank them somewhere between the Valencia and the Model 19 for price comparison and also consider them to be a bit more rare.

    Gary

  6. #6
    Inactive Member psycho2650's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9th, 2008
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My sister has a pair of Altec Santiago 878B speakers. They have had the surrounds replaced and the origional foam grills have been replaced with speaker cloth, but they have the original ALTEC name plates. Everything else is original and the cabinets and slate tops are in excellent condition. She is having money problems and I would like to buy them to help her out, but I have no idea of what a fair price would be. Can anybody give me a range of what these things may be worth?

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Samtiago 878B


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Had I a pair to sell I would probably ask about $750.

    I've seen them at $500, there is a pair on craigslist Chicago for $1200 which appears to be too much, they aren't selling.

    I would say $500 is on the low side, and the $12000 waay too high. From there, how bad do you want them, and how much is it to help her out? For instance. I would not pay $800 normally...but to help a relative I might...hopefully you at least have an idea...

    Some of the other fellows here may feel differently, wouldn't be the first time..

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member Jim Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    121
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Figured I'd chime in...

    I have a pair of Santiagos. I have $300 invested in the 411-8A's (ebay cost plus refoams by Bill); $300 in the 806's (local purchase plus refurb and new frams from Bill); $80 in 811 horns; $140 in 801 crosovers and 411/horn attenuator networks. Finally the $200 bucks spent for a pair of good condition 846B cabs.

    Total before my labor to refit and refinish: $1,020

    It was way worth it IMHO.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.